Today's Scripture & Prayer
Daily Bible Reading & Praying with the Church
The congregation of Countryside is encouraged to not only read ahead in the texts we will be sharing and studying together during our services, but also to personally read the Scriptures together as a congregation. Here you will find Scripture for the day (a Psalm for each morning (always at least the first Psalm) and night, and selections from the Old Testament, New Testament and Gospels), as well as weekly and daily prayers. Together we read through the New Testament once a year, and the Old Testament every two years. The Scripture selections, and the prayers, are from common sources used by most Christians throughout the world.
The historic church found expression in the same rhythms of worship and devotion that were evident in the early church, and among the Hebrews, God's people, before that. Our hope is that the regular reminder will be of encouragement to us all to join the people of God in reading the Scriptures and praying. Both are meant to go together with our daily prayer and communion service.
Reading for Sat, Jun 6
1 Praise the Lord, my soul.(A)
Lord my God, you are very great;
you are clothed with splendor and majesty.(B)
2 The Lord wraps(C) himself in light(D) as with a garment;
he stretches(E) out the heavens(F) like a tent(G)
3 and lays the beams(H) of his upper chambers on their waters.(I)
He makes the clouds(J) his chariot(K)
and rides on the wings of the wind.(L)
4 He makes winds his messengers,[a](M)
flames of fire(N) his servants.
5 He set the earth(O) on its foundations;(P)
it can never be moved.
6 You covered it(Q) with the watery depths(R) as with a garment;
the waters stood(S) above the mountains.
7 But at your rebuke(T) the waters fled,
at the sound of your thunder(U) they took to flight;
8 they flowed over the mountains,
they went down into the valleys,
to the place you assigned(V) for them.
9 You set a boundary(W) they cannot cross;
never again will they cover the earth.
10 He makes springs(X) pour water into the ravines;
it flows between the mountains.
11 They give water(Y) to all the beasts of the field;
the wild donkeys(Z) quench their thirst.
12 The birds of the sky(AA) nest by the waters;
they sing among the branches.(AB)
13 He waters the mountains(AC) from his upper chambers;(AD)
the land is satisfied by the fruit of his work.(AE)
14 He makes grass grow(AF) for the cattle,
and plants for people to cultivate—
bringing forth food(AG) from the earth:
15 wine(AH) that gladdens human hearts,
oil(AI) to make their faces shine,
and bread that sustains(AJ) their hearts.
16 The trees of the Lord(AK) are well watered,
the cedars of Lebanon(AL) that he planted.
17 There the birds(AM) make their nests;
the stork has its home in the junipers.
18 The high mountains belong to the wild goats;(AN)
the crags are a refuge for the hyrax.(AO)
19 He made the moon to mark the seasons,(AP)
and the sun(AQ) knows when to go down.
20 You bring darkness,(AR) it becomes night,(AS)
and all the beasts of the forest(AT) prowl.
21 The lions roar for their prey(AU)
and seek their food from God.(AV)
22 The sun rises, and they steal away;
they return and lie down in their dens.(AW)
23 Then people go out to their work,(AX)
to their labor until evening.(AY)
24 How many are your works,(AZ) Lord!
In wisdom you made(BA) them all;
the earth is full of your creatures.(BB)
25 There is the sea,(BC) vast and spacious,
teeming with creatures beyond number—
living things both large and small.(BD)
26 There the ships(BE) go to and fro,
and Leviathan,(BF) which you formed to frolic(BG) there.(BH)
27 All creatures look to you
to give them their food(BI) at the proper time.
28 When you give it to them,
they gather it up;
when you open your hand,
they are satisfied(BJ) with good things.
29 When you hide your face,(BK)
they are terrified;
when you take away their breath,
they die and return to the dust.(BL)
30 When you send your Spirit,(BM)
they are created,
and you renew the face of the ground.
33 I will sing(BS) to the Lord all my life;
I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.
34 May my meditation be pleasing to him,
as I rejoice(BT) in the Lord.
35 But may sinners vanish(BU) from the earth
and the wicked be no more.(BV)
Praise the Lord, my soul.
- Psalm 104:1 : S Ps 103:22
- Psalm 104:1 : S Job 40:10
- Psalm 104:2 : Isa 49:18; Jer 43:12
- Psalm 104:2 : Ps 18:12; 1Ti 6:16
- Psalm 104:2 : Job 9:8; Jer 51:15
- Psalm 104:2 : Job 37:18; Isa 40:22; 42:5; 44:24; Zec 12:1
- Psalm 104:2 : S Ps 19:4
- Psalm 104:3 : Am 9:6
- Psalm 104:3 : S Ps 24:2
- Psalm 104:3 : S Dt 33:26; Isa 19:1; Na 1:3
- Psalm 104:3 : S 2Ki 2:11
- Psalm 104:3 : Ps 18:10
- Psalm 104:4 : Ps 148:8; Heb 1:7*
- Psalm 104:4 : Ge 3:24; 2Ki 2:11
- Psalm 104:5 : Ex 31:17; Job 26:7; Ps 24:1-2; 102:25; 121:2
- Psalm 104:5 : S 1Sa 2:8
- Psalm 104:6 : Ge 7:19
- Psalm 104:6 : S Ge 1:2
- Psalm 104:6 : 2Pe 3:6
- Psalm 104:7 : S Ps 18:15
- Psalm 104:7 : S Ex 9:23; Ps 29:3
- Psalm 104:8 : Ps 33:7
- Psalm 104:9 : S Ge 1:9; S Ps 16:6
- Psalm 104:10 : Ps 107:33; Isa 41:18
- Psalm 104:11 : ver 13
- Psalm 104:11 : S Ge 16:12; Isa 32:14; Jer 14:6
- Psalm 104:12 : ver 17; Mt 8:20
- Psalm 104:12 : Mt 13:32
- Psalm 104:13 : Ps 135:7; 147:8; Jer 10:13; Zec 10:1
- Psalm 104:13 : S Lev 26:4
- Psalm 104:13 : Am 9:6
- Psalm 104:14 : S Job 38:27; Ps 147:8
- Psalm 104:14 : S Ge 1:30; S Job 28:5
- Psalm 104:15 : S Ge 14:18; S Jdg 9:13
- Psalm 104:15 : Ps 23:5; 92:10; Lk 7:46
- Psalm 104:15 : S Dt 8:3; Mt 6:11
- Psalm 104:16 : Ge 1:11
- Psalm 104:16 : S Ps 72:16
- Psalm 104:17 : ver 12
- Psalm 104:18 : S Dt 14:5
- Psalm 104:18 : Pr 30:26
- Psalm 104:19 : S Ge 1:14
- Psalm 104:19 : Ps 19:6
- Psalm 104:20 : Isa 45:7; Am 5:8
- Psalm 104:20 : Ps 74:16
- Psalm 104:20 : S Ps 50:10
- Psalm 104:21 : Am 3:4
- Psalm 104:21 : Ps 145:15; Joel 1:20; S Mt 6:26
- Psalm 104:22 : S Job 37:8
- Psalm 104:23 : S Ge 3:19
- Psalm 104:23 : Jdg 19:16
- Psalm 104:24 : Ps 40:5
- Psalm 104:24 : S Ge 1:31
- Psalm 104:24 : Ps 24:1; 50:10-11
- Psalm 104:25 : Ps 69:34
- Psalm 104:25 : Eze 47:10
- Psalm 104:26 : Ps 107:23; Eze 27:9; Jnh 1:3
- Psalm 104:26 : S Job 3:8; 41:1
- Psalm 104:26 : Job 40:20
- Psalm 104:26 : S Ge 1:21
- Psalm 104:27 : Job 36:31; Ps 145:15; 147:9
- Psalm 104:28 : Ps 103:5; 145:16; Isa 58:11
- Psalm 104:29 : S Dt 31:17
- Psalm 104:29 : S Job 7:21
- Psalm 104:30 : S Ge 1:2
- Psalm 104:31 : Ex 40:35; Ps 8:1; S Ro 11:36
- Psalm 104:31 : S Ge 1:4
- Psalm 104:32 : S Ps 97:4
- Psalm 104:32 : S Ex 19:18
- Psalm 104:32 : Ps 144:5
- Psalm 104:33 : S Ex 15:1; Ps 108:1
- Psalm 104:34 : S Ps 2:11; 9:2; 32:11
- Psalm 104:35 : Ps 37:38
- Psalm 104:35 : S Job 7:10
- Psalm 104:35 : Ps 28:6; 105:45; 106:48
A Prayer for the Ephesians
14 For this reason I kneel(A) before the Father, 15 from whom every family[a] in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16 I pray that out of his glorious riches(B) he may strengthen you with power(C) through his Spirit in your inner being,(D) 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts(E) through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted(F) and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people,(G) to grasp how wide and long and high and deep(H) is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge(I)—that you may be filled(J) to the measure of all the fullness of God.(K)
20 Now to him who is able(L) to do immeasurably more than all we ask(M) or imagine, according to his power(N) that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.(O)
- Ephesians 3:15 The Greek for family (patria) is derived from the Greek for father (pater).
- Ephesians 3:14 : Php 2:10
- Ephesians 3:16 : ver 8; S Ro 2:4
- Ephesians 3:16 : S Php 4:13
- Ephesians 3:16 : Ro 7:22
- Ephesians 3:17 : S Ro 8:10
- Ephesians 3:17 : Col 2:7
- Ephesians 3:18 : Eph 1:15
- Ephesians 3:18 : Job 11:8, 9; Ps 103:11
- Ephesians 3:19 : Php 4:7
- Ephesians 3:19 : Col 2:10
- Ephesians 3:19 : Eph 1:23
- Ephesians 3:20 : Ro 16:25; 2Co 9:8
- Ephesians 3:20 : 1Ki 3:13
- Ephesians 3:20 : ver 7
- Ephesians 3:21 : S Ro 11:36